iMessage spam can be extremely annoying, and it’s one of the main points of contention that Apple users have with their iPhones.
Blocking all of these contacts gets extremely tedious, but sometimes, it’s necessary. We’re going to look at the best ways to deal with iMessage spam on iOS devices.
Blocking Unwanted Messages from Senders
In modern iPhones, you actually have the option to block these messages from your Settings app. To do this:
Go into your Settings app and scroll down until you see Filter Unknown Messages.
You’ll be able to toggle this option on and off pretty easily. For the most part, it stops spam messages from reaching your iPhone.
But unfortunately, it doesn’t always work as well as it should. Another method to stop spam is by blocking the sender. Here’s how:
- Open the spam message in iMessage.
- Tap on the sender’s name or number at the top of the screen.
- Choose “Info,” then select “Block this Caller.”
These two methods should help you to stop receiving spam messages on your iPhone.
Reporting iMessage Spam to Apple
If you do end up receiving spam, it’s a good idea to report it to Apple. Although it won’t block them, if enough people report them then you’ll be doing your part to getting them removed.
You can report spam directly to Apple:
- Take a screenshot of the spam message.
- Email the screenshot to email@example.com with the sender’s details and the date/time you received the message.
Adjusting Notification Settings
Adjusting your notification settings can reduce the annoyance of spam:
- Go to Settings > Notifications > Messages.
- Customize your notification preferences to minimize disturbance from unknown senders.
Using Third-Party Spam Blocking Apps
If you want to take things to another level, you can look at downloading third-party apps that offer more advanced spam filtering capabilities. Some of the most popular apps for this are;
- Truecaller: Widely known for its caller ID features, Truecaller also excels in spam blocking. It uses a community-based spam list updated by millions of users worldwide.
- RoboKiller: This app is renowned for its effectiveness in blocking robocalls and spam messages. RoboKiller uses predictive algorithms to identify spam calls.
- Hiya: Hiya offers caller ID and spam blocking features. It leverages a vast database to provide accurate information about incoming calls.
These apps give you access to much more than just the basics you get with ioS, including features like blacklists, whitelists, and AI-driven algorithms that work to differentiate between spam and legitimate communication.
Regularly Updating Your iPhone
If you want to ensure that you’re not going to receive spam messages, it’s important that you make sure your phone is updated.
This will prevent any errors that may occur, and the longer you leave your iPhone without updating it, the more likely you are to start receiving spam messages again.
iMessage spam can be annoying, but by utilizing Apple’s built-in features, you can usually deal with it pretty quickly.