The degree symbol is a frequently needed character for everything from scientific research to temperature representation. On a MacBook, inserting this symbol is straightforward.
The simplest way to insert a degree symbol on a MacBook is through a keyboard shortcut. To insert the degree symbol:
- Place the cursor at the point in your text where you want the symbol to appear.
- Press and hold the `Shift` and `Option` keys simultaneously.
- While holding these keys, press the `8` key once.
- Release all keys, and the degree symbol (°) should now be inserted into your text.
This keyboard shortcut is a quick and efficient way to add the degree symbol without disrupting your typing flow.
Alternate method: Using the Special Characters Menu
For users who prefer using menus or need additional symbols, the Special Characters menu on the MacBook offers a comprehensive collection of symbols, including the degree symbol.
To access the degree symbol through the Emojis and Symbols menu:
- Click on the place in your text where you need the symbol.
- Go to the menu bar at the top of the screen and click on `Edit`.
- In the drop-down menu, select `Emoji & Symbols`.
- Click on ‘Punctuation’.
- Select the degree symbol from the results and click `Insert`.
This method is particularly useful when you are looking for a variety of symbols and want to explore more options.
Inserting the degree symbol on a MacBook is a simple process that can be accomplished through various methods.
Whether you prefer keyboard shortcuts or the Character Viewer, macOS provides several ways to access and use the degree symbol in your work.